Last Monday, I had the chance to attend the Episcopal Coronation of the image of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in QC and learned that the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel has been granted a Spiritual Bond of Affinity with the Papal Basilica of St. Mary Major by the Apostolic Penitentiary last November 2016, which affords the faithful to gain Plenary Indulgences:
1. On the titular feast day of the Liberian Basilica (Aug. 5);
2. On the titular feast day of the Church itself;
3. On all the solemnities of the Virgin Mary, Mother of God;
4. Once a year, on a day to be chosen by every faithful freely;
5. As often as a group of pilgrims go there for reason of devotion.
(These indulgences are granted under the customary conditions.)
The Mt. Carmel Church is the fourth Marian church in the Philippines to be affiliated with the Basilica of St. Mary Major after Caysasay, Manaoag, and Sto. Domingo churches. The shrine is located along Dona Juana Rodriguez Ave. (formerly Broadway Ave.) New Manila, Quezon City. It is a few blocks away from LRT-2 Gilmore station. I highly encourage everyone to visit this beautiful church especially this coming Lent.
Confessions will be available in the shrine on March 1, Ash Wednesday (Day of Fasting and Abstinence), at St. Joseph Bldg from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Masses will also be held on the same day throughout the day (6 a.m., 7:15 a.m. 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 5 p.m, 6:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.)