Thursday, September 8, 2011

On the Nativity of Mary


Meditations by St. Alphonsus Liguori on the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sept 8).


Before the birth of Mary the world was lost in the darkness of sin. "Mary was born, and the dawn arose", says one holy father. Of Mary it had already been said, "Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising?" - Canticles 6:9. As the earth rejoices when the dawn appears, because it is the precursor of the sun, so also when Mary was born the whole world rejoiced, because she was the precursor of Christ, the Sun of Justice, Who being made her Son, came to save us by His death; hence the Church sings, "Thy nativity, O Virgin Mother of God, announced joy to the whole world; for from thee arose the Sun of Justice, who has given us life eternal". So that when Mary was born, our remedy, our consolation, and our salvation came into the world; for through Mary we received our Savior.

This child being, then, destined to become the Mother of the Eternal Word, God enriched her with such great grace, that in the first moment of her Immaculate Conception, her sanctity exceeded that of all the Saints and Angels together, for she received grace of a higher order; one which corresponded with the dignity of Mother of God.


O holy child! O full of grace! I, miserable sinner that I am, salute and adore thee. Thou art the beloved one, the delight of God; pity me, who on account of my sins have been hateful and abominable in His sight. Thou, O most pure Virgin, knewest from thy very childhood so well how to gain the heart of God, that He never did and never will refuse thee anything, and grants thee all that thou askest. My hopes are therefore in thee; recommend me to thy Son, and I shall be saved.
Amen.


When Mary was destined to be the Mother of God, she was also destined to become the Mediatress between God and sinners. Hence the angelic Saint Thomas says, "that Mary received sufficient grace to save all men"; and therefore Saint Bernard calls her, "an aqueduct, that of her plenitude we all may partake".


O my Queen, Mediatress of sinners, perform thy office, intercede for me. My sins shall not prevent me from trusting in thee, O great Mother of God; no, I trust in thee, and so great is my confidence, that were my salvation in my own hands, I would place it in thine. O Mary, receive me under thy protection, for that is all my desire.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment